Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Play Silks

We are very inspired by Steiner (also known as Waldorf) play, toys, rhythms, etc. We are hoping to start attending a little Steiner playgroup soon. I particularly like the use of open ended toys, so i thought I'd share some pictures of our recent play silk dyeing activity.

 
You can find so many tutorials (they all vary) on how to dye silks, so i won't repeat, but i followed the very simple instructions here. It was a lot of  fun making them and both Miss E (5) and Master T (nearly 3) helped out. I can't wait to make some more. I'm going to attempt a rainbow one next for Baby J as he loves to hold onto one as he drifts off to sleep.
 


My children have already had so much fun with them. It's great to see all the different ways they will use a simple piece of cloth. Best of all, they were relatively cheap to make.


2 comments:

  1. I would love to do this with my kids, what kind of cloth did you use and where can I get some???
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, i got the silks from http://www.dharmatrading.com/ and we bought the 35" x 35" handkerchief size. It was fairly fast international shipping. The kool aid i got off ebay, but i think you can also use food colouring.

    ReplyDelete